Situated 3 hours’ from Johannesburg in the Malaria free Welgevonden Private Game Reserve in the Waterberg Mountains,
Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway is a special place where service is understood and luxury is elegantly understated.
Clifftop Executive Safari Hideaway is located in the Malaria free Welgevonden Game Reserve, 34 850 hectares in size, and set within the Waterberg plateau, three hours’ drive north of Johannesburg.
Welgevonden Nature Reserve
The Welgevonden Game Reserve, located just three hours’ north of Johannesburg in the Limpopo Province’s Waterberg plateau, is one of the most ruggedly scenic reserves in South Africa, characterised by rolling hills, rugged gorges and grassy plains.
Aptly meaning ‘well found’, the Welgevonden is unlike anywhere else on earth, a true wilderness area with excellent game viewing and stunning scenery. Enjoy this mountain bushveld environment with roaring rivers and sweeping horizon views. The reserve is located at high altitude, enjoys a mild climate and is Malaria free making it worth a visit any time of the year.
As a result of the reserve’s diverse landscapes, visitors can enjoy Big Five sightings, in addition to encounters with over 50 mammal species, 250 bird species and some of the bush’s most beautiful wild flowers that make their appearance in early spring.
The Welgevonden also boasts one of Africa’s largest populations of white rhino on a private reserve, with such unusual species as brown hyena, aardwolf and aardvark also located within the reserve. The reserve has never been a hunting area and as such game viewing is up and close and personal. In addition to great game viewing, there is also ancient San Rock Art.
Getting to Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway by Road
- Take the N1 north out of Johannesburg/Pretoria. Just over 120km after Pretoria find the Kranskop Toll Plaza. Take the R33 off-ramp at the toll plaza (keep in the left hand lane) to Modimolle / Nylstroom.
- Drive straight through Modimolle/Nylstroom on the R33 towards Vaalwater. Drive straight through Vaalwater on the R510 towards Thabazimbi.
- To go to Welgevonden East Gate: Follow the R510 for 13 km after leaving Vaalwater, turn left on the little dirt road (look out for sign “Welgevonden East Gate”), follow it for 11km.
- GPS East Gate: S 24°17’ 50.10” E 027°55’ 16.84’
GPS Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway: S 24°17’47.10” E 027°54’17.84’
- Contact Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway as you drive through Vaalwater to ensure that a lodge safari vehicle is dispatched and awaiting your arrival at Welgevonden East Gate for a 15-minute safari vehicle transfer to the lodge.
Getting to Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway by Air
Fly directly from either OR Tambo International Airport or Lanseria Airport to the reserve landing strip. Guests are collected and transferred to the lodge. Guests are collected and transferred to the lodge, located a 1 ½ hour drive from the landing strip. Alternatively, the lodge has two helicopter landing pads.
Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway helicopter pad co-ordinates:
S 24 17 76
E 027 54 35
Altitude 1226.5 m
The conservation fees for Welgevonden Game Reserve are currently R 126.00 per person per night and you will be required to hand back your receipt to the gate attendant upon your departure.