Situated 3 hours’ from Johannesburg in the Malaria free Welgevonden Private Game Reserve in the Waterberg Mountains, Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway is a special place where service is understood and luxury is elegantly understated.
Clifftop Executive Safari Hideaway is located in the Malaria free Welgevonden Game Reserve, 34 850 hectares in size, and set within the Waterberg plateau, three hours’ drive north of Johannesburg.
Welgevonden Nature Reserve
Welgevonden Game Reserve is located in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Known simply as Waterberg, or Water Mountain, the blue-hued Waterberg imposingly stretches its full length from Thabazimbi in the south west, to Lapalala River in the north east of the Limpopo Province, supporting a biome of over 15 000 square kilometres.
Welgevonden Game Reserve extends over 40 000ha,of the darker brown areas indicated on the map. The reserve has a contagious border with the Marakele National Park, some 670 square kilometres in extent. Collectively this conservation area is formidable in size and contribution to conservation.
But more, scenically it is one of the most spectacular landscapes in Southern Africa. Recognised by UNESCO as unique, the Waterberg was declared a Biosphere Reserve, in 2001, and remains the only savannah Biosphere Reserve in the World. It is also a National Heritage Site.
The Welgevonden Game Reserve is recognised the world over as a pioneer in conservation, many of the projects deemed to be changing the face of conservation, not just in South Africa, but around the world.
Welgevonden’s is a malaria free zone. An alternative to the Madikwe or Eastern Cape Safari regions.
For logistical lesson:
Access is either by:
Road for self drivers or those that prefer to be transferred.
Its an easy drive on mostly highway, and excellent provincial road. The individual camps are accessed via various access gates, and each camp will tell you what their access gate to the reserve is in their presentation. Please take note of transfer times and protocols.
By air for those wishing to fly, there is a choice of air strips.
There are two unregistered air strips in the reserve. Each flight needs to be co -ordinated with the Welgevonden, with an indemnity – please be sure to adhere to these rules. And a registered airstrip in Vaalwater some 20 minutes from the reserve. The registered air strip is serviced by Safari Air Wing, whom also offer flights from there to Madikwe and the Kruger regions, and beyond. The airstrip services the Waterberg region, not just the Welgevonden Game Reserve.
Please consider that this now offers a safari circuit, in South Africa, combining the contrastingly different regions of Madikwe, Waterberg and Kruger regions.
Hot off the press: They airstrip owners are working on passport control so the strip is able to offer regional connections – this will be a huge step in connectivity to this region for those wishing to include areas north of our borders.
Welgevonden Game Reserve is ideal if combining a safari with other destinations in Southern Africa.
- Getting to Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway by Road
- Getting to Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway by Air
- Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway helicopter pad co-ordinates:
- Gate Fees
- Take the N1 north out of Johannesburg/Pretoria. Just over 120km after Pretoria find the Kranskop Toll Plaza. Take the R33 off-ramp at the toll plaza (keep in the left hand lane) to Modimolle / Nylstroom.
- Drive straight through Modimolle/Nylstroom on the R33 towards Vaalwater. Drive straight through Vaalwater on the R510 towards Thabazimbi.
- To go to Welgevonden East Gate: Follow the R510 for 13 km after leaving Vaalwater, turn left on the little dirt road (look out for sign “Welgevonden East Gate”), follow it for 11km.
- GPS East Gate: S 24°17’ 50.10” E 027°55’ 16.84’
GPS Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway: S 24°17’47.10” E 027°54’17.84’
- Contact Clifftop Exclusive Safari Hideaway as you drive through Vaalwater to ensure that a lodge safari vehicle is dispatched and awaiting your arrival at Welgevonden East Gate for a 15-minute safari vehicle transfer to the lodge.
Fly directly from either OR Tambo International Airport or Lanseria Airport to the reserve landing strip. Guests are collected and transferred to the lodge. Guests are collected and transferred to the lodge, located a 1 ½ hour drive from the landing strip. Alternatively, the lodge has two helicopter landing pads.
S 24 17 76
E 027 54 35
Altitude 1226.5 m
The conservation fees for Welgevonden Game Reserve are currently R 126.00 per person per night and you will be required to hand back your receipt to the gate attendant upon your departure.